9.3 - Manage Work Zones DFDThe processes in this DFD provide the Manage Work Zones facility within the Manage Maintenance and Construction function. These processes control activity in the work zone, collect and disseminate information about work zones to other agencies, monitor vehicle speeds through the work zone, and detect vehicle intrusion into the work zone.
The key points about the facility are as follows:
- Work zone activity is managed, including control of roadside and maintenance and construction vehicle work zone devices;
- Crew movements are monitored and alerts issued if a crew member approaches the work zone boundary;
- Information about work zone activity, including status and other data, is collected, analyzed, and disseminated to other agencies;
- Individual vehicle speed through the work zone is monitored, and speed is enforced by reporting violations to traffic management or maintenance and construction management agencies, or posting on driver information devices such as dynamic message signs;
- Vehicle intrusions into the work zone are detected and crew alerts are issued.
The processes subordinate to this DFD are all themselves DFDs:
a) Control Work Zone Activity (DFD 9.3.1)
b) Manage Work Zone Data (DFD 9.3.2)
c) Manage Vehicle Speed (DFD 9.3.3)
d) Manage WZ Intrusion Warning (DFD 9.3.4)
The processes in this group provide all the facilities for managing activities in work zones. A work zone is an area of a roadway with highway construction, maintenance, or utility-work activities. A work zone may be in effect for short or long durations and may include stationary (e.g., highway construction) or moving (e.g., striping, snow/ice removal) activities. Both (a) and (b) form a tightly coupled group that should be implemented in together. Processes (c) and (d) can each be implemented separately, but should be considered as part of the overall function since they enhance safety for the work zone crew, passing vehicles, and maintenance and construction vehicles.
DFD: 9.3 - Manage Work Zones
Parent DFD: 9 - Manage Maintenance and Construction
- 9.3.1 - Control Work Zone Activity
- 9.3.2 - Manage Work Zone Data
- 9.3.3 - Manage Vehicle Speed
- 9.3.4 - Manage WZ Intrusion Warning