9 - Manage Maintenance and Construction DFDThe processes in this DFD are responsible for the Manage Maintenance and Construction function. This DFD includes the management of maintenance and construction vehicle fleets, roadway maintenance activities (winter treatment and routine maintenance), work zone activities, collection of environmental data, and dissemination of work plans, road condition, and environmental information to other transportation functions. The User Service Requirements satisfied by this functional process tree include those from User Services 5.3, "Disaster Response and Evacuation", and 8.1, “Maintenance and Construction Operations”.
The key points about the function are as follows:
- Maintenance and construction fleet managers dispatch, route, and track their vehicles, and may remotely operate the operational equipment on those vehicles;
- Location, safety status, operating condition, and operational status are monitored on maintenance and construction vehicles;
- Work zone activity, field equipment repair, winter maintenance, and routine roadway maintenance needs are determined, scheduled, monitored, and shared with other agencies;
- Automated roadway treatment facilities are supported;
- Resources such as materials, fleet equipment and vehicles are managed;
- Work zone activity is managed, including control of roadside and maintenance and construction vehicle work zone devices;
- Crew movements are monitored and alerts issued if a crew member approaches the work zone boundary;
- Vehicle intrusions into a work zone are detected by roadside equipment and maintenance and construction vehicles, and intrusion alerts are issued to maintenance and construction vehicle operators and crew members;
- Environmental information is collected from sensors at the roadside and on vehicles and from other agencies, processed, and disseminated to other agencies;
- Plans and activities are coordinated with other ITS functions for disaster and evacuation situations.
The processes subordinate to this DFD are all themselves DFDs:
a) Manage M&C Vehicles (DFD 9.1)
b) Manage Roadway M&C Activities (DFD 9.2)
c) Manage Work Zones (DFD 9.3)
d) Manage Environmental Information (DFD 9.4)
The above processes are able to implement a maintenance and construction management function including vehicle fleet management, maintenance and construction activity needs assessment and scheduling, work zone management and crew safety measures, and serve as a central point for collection, processing, and dissemination of environmental information. This is designed to assist in effective and timely maintenance and construction operations, coordinated with other transportation agencies to maximize efficiency and minimize the risk of incidents in the rest of the transportation network.
DFD: 9 - Manage Maintenance and Construction
Parent DFD: 0 - Manage ITS
- 9.1 - Manage M&C Vehicles
- 9.2 - Manage Roadway M&C Activities
- 9.3 - Manage Work Zones
- 9.4 - Manage Environmental Information