6.3 - Provide Traveler Services at Kiosks DFDThe processes in this DFD comprise the Provide Traveler Services at Kiosks facility within the Provide Driver and Traveler Services function. These processes enable the traveler to obtain traffic and transit information and to plan trips from a kiosk.
The key points about the facility are as follows:
- Travelers can plan trips and get traffic, transit, events, and yellow pages services information;
- Trips may be multimodal, including demand responsive transit and ridesharing;
- Planned trips may be confirmed and paid for in advance as may yellow pages services;
- Travelers may also obtain traffic and transit information without planning any trips or making reservations;
- Travelers may also receive evacuation-related information and wide area alerts;
- Kiosks may be at the roadside, in shopping malls, and at other major trip generation sites.
There are four processes in this DFD:
a) Get Traveler Request (6.3.1)
b) Inform Traveler (6.3.2)
c) Provide Traveler Kiosk Interface (6.3.3)
d) Update Traveler Display Map Data at Kiosk (6.3.4)
These processes form a tightly coupled group and communicate with many other ITS functions. The traveler provides trip planning, trip confirmation, plus traffic and transit information requests through process (c). These are sent to process (a) which distributes the trip planning and confirmation requests to the appropriate processes in the Provide Trip Planning Services facility - see DFD 6.1. Requests for traffic and transit information are sent for implementation by process (b) which also receives the results from the trip planning requests made by process (a). All data received by process (b) is sent to process (c) for output to the traveler. Travelers can request as many trip plans as are needed before an acceptable match is found to their trip requirements. Data used for previous inputs and regularly used data is kept in the store of traveler regular data by process (c). The outputs produced by process (c) may be shown against a background of digitized map data produced by process (d). This map data is requested automatically, at a frequency set up in process (d) when the supplier or owner installs it within the kiosk.
DFD: 6.3 - Provide Traveler Services at Kiosks
Parent DFD: 6 - Provide Driver and Traveler Services
PSpecs in this DFD:
- 6.3.1 - Get Traveler Request
- 6.3.2 - Inform Traveler
- 6.3.3 - Provide Traveler Kiosk Interface
- 6.3.4 - Update Traveler Display Map Data at Kiosk