4.7.2 - Collect Transit Fares at the Roadside DFDThe processes in this DFD make up the Collect Transit Fares at the Roadside facility within the Manage Transit function. These processes enable transit fares to be collected from travelers at the roadside before they board the vehicle. The processes operate together in much the same way as those performing a similar function on-board the transit vehicle. They also enable the traveler to obtain information about and pay for other (yellow pages) services, and to pay for tolls and parking lot charges in advance.
The key points about the facility are as follows:
- Transit fare collection is provided without travelers needing to stop while boarding the vehicle;
- Fare processing is interactive as the travelers pass through the roadside location;
- Travelers may request and pay for other (yellow pages) services;
- Advanced payment of transit fares, tolls, and parking lot charges is supported.
There are seven processes in this DFD:
(a) Detect Traveler at Roadside (188.8.131.52)
(b) Determine Traveler Needs at Roadside (184.108.40.206)
(c) Determine Transit Fare at Roadside (220.127.116.11)
(d) Manage Transit Fare Billing at Roadside (18.104.22.168)
(e) Provide Traveler Roadside Fare Interface (22.214.171.124)
(f) Update Roadside Transit Fare Data (126.96.36.199)
(g) Provide Transit Roadside Passenger Data (188.8.131.52)
Detection of a traveler passing through the roadside facility by process (a) and the collection of the desired destination data by process (e) enables the transit fare to be calculated by processes (b) and (c). This data is passed to process (d) which sends the data to the Transit Management Center for payment processing. This is always carried out interactively as even with large numbers of travelers, there should be no constraints on the communications with the Transit Management Center that there would be with a transit vehicle. Interactive processing also enables the images of all users making invalid payments to be obtained. Facilities for travelers to pay for transit fares, tolls, and parking lot charges in advance are also provided through process (e). Processes (f) and (g) are used to manage data stores containing information about transit fares and transit passengers and trips obtained at the roadside.
The above processes are intended to be implemented as a single coordinated group. However some of the interfaces in process (e) could be omitted if only transit fare processing is to be provided. The reporting process (g) could also be left out if its functionality is not required by a particular transit operation.
DFD: 4.7.2 - Collect Transit Fares at the Roadside
Parent DFD: 4.7 - Provide Traveler Roadside Facilities
PSpecs in this DFD:
- 184.108.40.206 - Detect Traveler at Roadside
- 220.127.116.11 - Determine Traveler Needs at Roadside
- 18.104.22.168 - Determine Transit Fare at Roadside
- 22.214.171.124 - Manage Transit Fare Billing at Roadside
- 126.96.36.199 - Provide Traveler Roadside Fare Interface
- 188.8.131.52 - Update Roadside Transit Fare Data
- 184.108.40.206 - Provide Transit Roadside Passenger Data