TMC Environmental Monitoring (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package assimilates current and forecast road conditions and surface weather information using a combination of weather service provider information, information collected by other centers such as the Maintenance and Construction Management Subsystem, and data collected from environmental sensors deployed on and about the roadway. The collected environmental information is monitored and presented to the operator. This information can be used to issue general traveler advisories and support location specific warnings to drivers. Other equipment packages process the collected information and provide decision support.
- The center shall remotely control environmental sensors that measure road surface temperature, moisture, icing, salinity, and other measures.
- The center shall remotely control environmental sensors that measure weather conditions including temperature, wind, humidity, precipitation, and visibility.
- The center shall assimilate current and forecast road conditions and surface weather information using a combination of weather service provider information (such as the National Weather Service and value-added sector specific meteorological services), data from roadway maintenance operations, and environmental data collected from sensors deployed on and about the roadway.
- The center shall provide weather and road condition information to weather service providers and center personnel.
- The center shall respond to control data from center personnel regarding environmental sensor control and weather data collection and processing.