TMC HOV Lane Management (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package provides center monitoring and control of HOV lanes. It coordinates freeway ramp meters and connector signals with HOV lane usage signals to provide preferential treatment to HOV lanes. In advanced implementations, it automatically detects HOV violators.
- The center shall remotely control sensors to detect high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane usage.
- The center shall remotely control driver information systems to notify users of lane status for lanes that become HOV or High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes during certain times of the day on freeways.
- The center shall remotely control freeway control devices, such as ramp signals and mainline metering and other systems associated with freeway operations that control use of HOV lanes.
- The center shall collect traffic flow measures and information regarding vehicle occupancy (i.e., lane usage) in HOV lanes.
- The center shall monitor the use of HOV lanes and detect vehicles that do not have the required number of occupants.
- The center shall collect operational status for the freeway control devices associated with HOV lane control.
- The center shall collect fault data for the freeway control devices associated with HOV lane control for repair.
- The center shall store violation parameters, detect HOV lane violators, obtain the vehicle registration data from the appropriate State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, and then provide the capability to send violation information to a law enforcement agency.