On-board Cargo Monitoring (Equipment Packages*)This on-board equipment package monitors the location and status of the commercial vehicle and its cargo. It sends the collected data to appropriate centers and roadside facilities, including emergency management in the case of HAZMAT incidents. Depending on the nature of the cargo, this equipment package may include sensors that measure temperature, pressure, load leveling, acceleration, and other attributes of the cargo.
- The commercial vehicle shall compute the location of the commercial vehicle and its freight equipment.
- The commercial vehicle shall monitor on-board systems and record measures such as weight, vehicle security status, vehicle safety status, vehicle identity, driver status, driver safety status, distance traveled, and brake condition.
- The commercial vehicle shall monitor information concerning the freight equipment including cargo type, HAZMAT designation (if any) for the cargo, cargo weight, the type of container in which the cargo is held, safety condition of the cargo, etc.
- The commercial vehicle shall forward information concerning the freight equipment on to its fleet and freight management center as well as the roadside check facility.
- The commercial vehicle shall send notification of a hazmat spill to appropriate emergency management center in case of an incident including the information from cargo sensors, vehicle location, and the carrier identification.