Roadway VMT Payment (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package receives VMT data (time stamped roadways used by the vehicle since the last transmission) and forwards this to the Payment Administration subsystem. The EP also receives VMT equipment status from the vehicle and with vehicle characteristics sensed from the vehicle (number of axels, weight, vehicle tag image/ID) determines if there is any fault in the vehicle. If so, it forwards the fault information to the Payment Administration subsystem. Finally, it forwards vehicle payment requests from the PAS to the Vehicle and forwards vehicle payment information from the vehicle to the PAS.
- The field element shall collect vehicle location, speed, distance and other data from passing vehicles and pass the collected data to a center to support VMT payment.
- The field element shall calculate the payment due based on the vehicle characteristics (vehicle size, weight, axle count, etc.) and road use pricing policy.
- The field element shall obtain payment for road use charges and send a record of the transaction to a center.
- The field element shall monitor the status of vehicle on-board VMT equipment and detect and report faults.
- The field element shall control cameras, obtain images, and forward images to a center.