Center VMT Payment Administration (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package receives VMT data (time stamped roadways used by the vehicle since the last transmission) and computes the total cost to the vehicle owner for payment. Based on owner preference during vehicle registration, this cost is either billed to the owner or requested from an in-vehicle payment instrument. Communication with the vehicle can be direct over wide-area wireless communications or via fixed or mobile field equipment. Fixed or mobile field equipment might also indicate if a fault has been detected in the vehicle equipment. VMT data can be audited with both registration information and odometer information from the DMV associated with the vehicle registration. Payment for use of roadways not operated by the specific instance of the VMT Payment Administration that the vehicle is registered with, will be reconciled with the Center VMT Payment Administration EPs of those entities. Payments from vehicle owners and operators as well as payments to other Center VMT Payment Administration Eps are reconciled with a Financial institution. Actual VMT costs for roadways (by time, by roadway and by class of vehicle) are sent to ISPs to assist drivers in estimating specific trip costs. Payment violations can be reported to Enforcement Agencies when appropriate. Finally, vehicle owners can interact with the EP using personal devices or public terminals to setup and edit account preferences for owned vehicles, get account reports, and make payments.
- The center shall register vehicles for road use payment, establishing accounts that identify owner billing information and preferences.
- The center shall provide secure user account management, providing user access to rules and policies, current billing status, invoices, payments, and mechanisms for review and challenge of the collected data.
- This center shall maintain and publish road use prices, as configured by the Payment Administrator.
- The center shall receive VMT data (time stamped log of roadways used by the vehicle) and compute the total cost to the vehicle owner.
- The center shall calculate road use charges based on the vehicle's mileage, roads traveled, time periods, emissions profile for make/model, fuel economy for make/model, weight, number of axles/tires, or other policies.
- The center shall access and use registration and odometer information from the DMV to verify and audit collected VMT data.
- The center shall process and clear payments from vehicle owners and operators as well as payments to other Center VMT Payment Administration through clearing houses provided by financial institutions.
- The center shall coordinate with other VMT Payment Administration systems to reconcile and apportion payments for vehicles registered in other jurisdictions.
- The center shall report payment violations including vehicle information and vehicle image to the designated Enforcement Agency.
- The center shall monitor the operational status of VMT field equipment and identify equipment faults.