Roadway Warning (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package includes the field equipment used to warn drivers approaching hazards on a roadway. Warnings may be generated in response to roadway weather conditions, road surface conditions, traffic conditions including queues, obstacles or animals in the roadway, and any other transient events that can be sensed. The equipment monitors traffic and roadway conditions and may send data to a traffic management center for processing or may process it to determine when a warning should be issued. When it is determined that a warning should be issued, the equipment is used to alert approaching drivers via dynamic warning signs, flashing lights, in-vehicle messages, etc.
- The field element shall monitor for hazardous traffic conditions, including queues.
- The field element shall monitor for hazardous road surface and local weather conditions.
- The field element shall monitor for debris, animals, or other objects in the travel lanes.
- The field element shall provide collected sensor data to the controlling center.
- The field element shall autonomously identify potentially hazardous conditions and activate warning signs to approaching motorists.
- The field element shall receive commands from the controlling center that activate warning signs to approaching motorists.
- The field element shall collect operational status of the warning system field equipment and report the operational status to the controlling center.
- The field element shall monitor and report faults to the controlling center.