Roadway Dynamic Lane Management and Shoulder Use (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package includes the field equipment, physical overhead lane signs and associated control electronics that are used to manage and control specific lanes and/or the shoulders. This equipment can be centrally controlled by a traffic management center or it can autonomous and monitor traffic conditions and demand along the roadway and determine how to change the lane controls to respond to current conditions. Lane controls can be used to change the lane configuration of the roadway, reconfigure intersections and/or interchanges, allow use of shoulders as temporary travel lanes, designate lanes for use by special vehicles only, such as buses, high occupancy vehicles (HOVs), vehicles attending a special event, etc. and/or prohibit or restrict types of vehicles from using particular lanes. Guidance and information for drivers can be posted on dynamic message signs. This equipment also can automatically notify the enforcement agency of violators of the lane controls.
- The field element shall measure traffic conditions per lane, under center control.
- The field element shall determine how to change the lane controls to respond to current traffic and road conditions.
- The field element shall receive lane management control information from the controlling center.
- The field element shall provide guidance and information to drivers regarding current lane configuration and status.
- The field element shall monitor vehicle characteristics and classify individual vehicles.
- The field element shall collect vehicle profile information from individual vehicles using field-vehicle communications.
- The field element shall monitor current lane usage to determine if vehicles are complying with current lane use restrictions.
- The field element shall capture vehicle information, including vehicle image(s) of vehicles violating current lane usage restrictions and report violations to the controlling center.
- The field element shall monitor operational status of the dynamic lane control equipment and report operational status to the controlling center.
- The field element shall identify and report fault conditions to the controlling center.