MCM Environmental Information Collection (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package collects current road and weather conditions using data collected from environmental sensors deployed on and about the roadway. In addition to fixed sensor stations at the roadside, this equipment package also collects environmental information from sensor systems located on Maintenance and Construction Vehicles as well as the broader population of vehicle probes. It also collects current and forecast environmental conditions information that is made available by other systems. The equipment package aggregates the sensor system data and provides it, along with data attributes to meteorological systems.
- The center shall remotely control environmental sensors that measure road surface temperature, moisture, icing, salinity, and other measures.
- The center shall remotely control environmental sensors that measure weather conditions including temperature, wind, humidity, precipitation, and visibility.
- The center shall remotely control environmental sensors on-board maintenance and construction vehicles that measure road and weather conditions including air and surface temperatures, wind speed, humidity, precipitation, visibility and other measures.
- The center shall collect environmental probe data (air temperature, exterior light status, wiper status, traction control status, etc.) from short range communications equipment that communicates with appropriately equipped probe vehicles.
- The center shall assimilate current and forecast road conditions and surface weather information using a combination of weather service provider information (such as the National Weather Service and value-added sector specific meteorological services), data from traffic and traveler information providers, and environmental data collected from sensors deployed on and about the roadway as well as the fleet of maintenance and construction vehicles and the broader population of vehicle probes.
- The center shall provide weather and road condition information to weather service providers and center personnel.
- The center shall respond to control data from center personnel regarding environmental sensor control and weather data collection and processing.
- The center shall collect operational status for the roadside and vehicle-based environmental sensor equipment.
- The center shall collect fault data for the roadside and vehicle-based environmental sensor equipment for repair.