Vehicle Intersection Safety Warning (Equipment Packages*)This equipment package detects and notifies the driver of potentially hazardous situations in an intersection. The equipment package monitors intersection status and vehicle speed on the approach to the intersection and warns the driver if necessary. It shares vehicle status with field equipment at the intersection and uses intersection status provided by this field equipment to warn the driver of impending violations or potential conflicts with other vehicles approaching the intersection. This equipment package includes the on-board sensors that detect potential hazards, equipment that communicates with the infrastructure to identify safety issues identified by field equipment at the intersection, and equipment that provides visual and/or audible warnings to the driver.
- The vehicle shall monitor the area surrounding the vehicle as it approaches an intersection to determine the proximity of other objects to the vehicle. Obstacles could include animals, other vehicles, pedestrians, debris in roadway etc.
- The vehicle shall evaluate the likelihood of a collision between two vehicles or a vehicle and a stationary object, based on the proximity of other objects to the vehicle and the current speed and direction of the vehicle.
- The vehicle shall monitor its approach to the intersection and determine if it is approaching the intersection with excessive speed or in an unsafe manner.
- The vehicle shall send its current position, velocity, acceleration, direction, and intended turning movement to the roadway field equipment.
- The vehicle shall receive warnings and collision avoidance data (intersection congestion, approaching vehicles, potential collision hazards, etc.) from the roadway field equipment.
- The vehicle shall provide warnings to the driver about the presence of potentially hazardous situations and need for immediate action.
- The vehicle shall present information to the driver in audible or visual forms without impairing the driver's ability to control the vehicle in a safe manner.